Thursday, June 12, 2008

The lines on which my title is based are from Sylvia Plath's poem, Love Is A Parallax:
The paradox is that 'the play's the thing':
though prima donna pouts and critic stings,
there burns throughout the line of words,
the cultivated act, a fierce brief fusion
which dreamers call real, and realists, illusion:
an insight like the flight of birds:
I write what I feel, the fierce brief fusion inside which others may or may not connect with reality. It is more fun this way, don't you think? I certainly do.

I came across a poem today which I had previously read, but had not filtered for understanding. It has quickly become one of my favorites - it's another Plath. Of course.

Monologue at 3 AM

Better that every fiber crack
and fury make head,
blood drenching vivid
couch, carpet, floor
and the snake-figured almanac
vouching you are
a million green counties from here,

than to sit mute, twitching so
under prickling stars,
with stare, with curse
blackening the time
goodbyes were said, trains let go,
and I, great magnanimous fool, thus wrenched from
my one kingdom.

Correspondingly, I have written at least fifteen poems of the exact nature of this one, but mine only seek it, whereas this finds it, pulls at it, and shoves it in your face. If only I could do that.

Also correspondingly, I have dreamed about the same person for four nights in a row. On the third night he was back and we were together, sitting in some sort of auditorium, when a large and frightening bat-of-some-kind flew in and, though I felt it coming, made him disappear again into nothing. No traces, simply gone.

Drift away on a dream, drift away.

But don't, please. More fitting is:


I'm nothing on my own. And I love you, please come home.


1 comment:

l'oiseau said...

Very good post. And those poems were great. I'm really hoping that by blogging and writing more that I can then improve my writing.
And speaking of dreams, I had a dream last night featuring a cameo by a lot of my friends, including you. We were at Playhouse. More details in my blog. :)